A root canal is a dental procedure that many folks seem to dread. But when performed by someone with years of experience like Dr. James Dores, a root canal treatment in East Longmeadow, MA is really not a big deal.
If you think you may need a root canal, call Dores Dental at 413-241-3995.
Signs You Need a Root CanalDr. Dores on Root Canal
A lot of people have preconceived notions that root canals are painful and the worst experience, they talk to their friends after a root canal is prescribed. Often times the friend will say, don’t ...
A lot of people have preconceived notions that root canals are painful and the worst experience, they talk to their friends after a root canal is prescribed. Often times the friend will say, don’t do it, it’s the worst thing ever. Nowadays, I’m not sure why that persists, because that doesn’t happen anymore, at least not in this office. It’s done under local anesthetic, the tooth is completely numb, and we have a lot of things that we do for patients to make them feel comfortable.
If decay gets into the pulp in the center of your tooth, it can become inflamed and infected. It can also be painful, which is often how you and Dr. Dores discover a root canal is needed. Pain usually signals infection if:
- It lingers
- It gets worse if you lie down or suddenly stand
- Is spontaneous and not brought on by a stimulus
The infection, if not stopped, will destroy your tooth. If that happens, it will have to be extracted. Infection cannot remain in your tooth because it could spread elsewhere in your body, possibly even to vulnerable areas like the heart. It is not a coincidence that people with no access to dental care used to die of teeth infections!
How a Root Canal Works
Here is how the root canals treatment process typically works:
- Dores thoroughly numbs the area with local anesthesia.
- He isolates your tooth by placing rubber material around it.
- Using special tools, he cleans out all of the infection.
- After removing the infected tissue, he fills the remaining space with an inert material.
- He seals your tooth with either a dental filling or a dental crown. Dr. Dores can create a same-day dental crown with our high-tech CEREC system during the same visit to our East Longmeadow, MA dentist office. You won’t have to wear a temporary crown for weeks while waiting for your final one to be produced at an off-site lab.
The reality of a root canal is not nearly as bad as its reputation. The main drawback is the length of time required for the procedure, often an hour or more depending on whether you receive a same-day dental crown.
If you experience mild discomfort after a root canals treatment, an over-the-counter anti-inflammatory medication usually takes care of the discomfort.
Dr. Dores has proven to be knowledgeable on restorative dentistry and any field in dentistry as he holds membership in the American Dental Association (ADA), Massachusetts Dental Society, and the Valley District Dental Society for his continuing education.