Straightening Your Teeth with Invisalign in East Longmeadow
What Problems Can Invisalign Correct?
Invisalign is an incredibly useful tool used by millions to correct the same dental problems as traditional metal braces. But what makes Invisalign different is that it is removable and can correct these problems more discreetly. Keep reading to hear more about it, then give our East Longmeadow, MA dentist’s office a call at 413-241-3995 to request a consultation appointment at Dores Dental.
Dental problems that are commonly corrected with Invisalign include:
- Overcrowding – When there is not enough space for the teeth to properly align in the mouth, the teeth become overcrowded, potentially causing tooth decay and gum disease.
- Large gaps between teeth – There are a few reasons large gaps can show up between teeth, but it often happens because of missing teeth or because of abnormal jaw growth.
- Crossbite – Common among patients of all ages, crossbite occurs when one or more of the upper teeth bite inside the lower teeth. Crossbite can lead to uneven wear of the teeth as well as erosion of the bone and gum disease.
- Overbite – When the upper teeth stick out further than the lower teeth or completely cover the lower teeth, it is known as an overbite. An overbite can eventually lead to jaw pain or TMJ.
- Underbite – The opposite of an overbite, an underbite is when the lower teeth stick out further than the upper teeth, also potentially causing jaw pain and TMJ.
Why Choose Invisalign Over Metal Braces?
Invisalign and metal braces both work by gently repositioning the teeth over an extended period. If you are trying to decide whether to choose Invisalign over metal braces, there are several factors to keep in mind.
Perhaps the most obvious benefit to choosing Invisalign over metal braces is the appearance of the orthodontic treatment. Invisalign uses clear trays rather than metal brackets and wires. These trays are fully removable, which is convenient, but also requires more discipline and commitment from the patient.
In most cases, patients who choose Invisalign are happy with their decision, because the trays are comfortable and nearly invisible, making them ideal for nearly all ages and lifestyles. Additionally, Invisalign offers the same results as metal braces.
What to Expect During an Invisalign Treatment
When you are approved for adult braces like Invisalign, we will first come up with a treatment plan before creating your customized aligners. We will take 3D digital images of your entire jaw so that we can view your jaw from different angles and get an idea of how your treatment will progress. This remarkable technology can show us how Invisalign trays can change the appearance of your smile and potentially your facial features.
Once we complete your treatment plan, aligners are designed to be completely unique to you. The number of aligners required in a full treatment plan varies by each case, but most patients can expect to use a total of 20-29 sets per arch.
Invisalign may take some time to get used to, but after 2-3 weeks of constant wear, except when eating and drinking, there is a good chance you will forget you are even wearing them.
To find out if you are a candidate for Invisalign, contact us online or call Dores Dental today at 413-241-3995. We look forward to hearing from you.