Get Your Bite Back with Dental Implants
You are missing a tooth and you really, really want it back. You don’t like the idea of having to alter healthy teeth to support a dental bridge and, if you have many teeth to replace, you don’t want to deal with dentures sliding around in your mouth or even falling out!
You want your natural teeth back. While we can’t promise you that, we can offer the next best thing: a dental implant. Looks like a real tooth — check. Feels like a real tooth — check. Functions like a real tooth — check.
In fact, once your dental implant or implants are complete in your mouth, you will likely forget they are there. There is simply no other dental restoration that’s this close to the real deal. To book a dental implant consultation at Dores Dental, call our Longmeadow, MA office at 413-241-3995.
A Dental Implant Recreates Your Tooth Structure
Unlike other restorations, which sit atop your gums, a dental implant is an artificial tooth root that is surgically implanted into your jawbone. It is constructed of titanium. As your bone heals, it will grow around the implant and anchor it firmly into place in a process called osseointegration.
After the healing process is complete, Dr. Dores will attach a support piece called an abutment, and then a restoration that fits right in with your natural teeth — typically a crown for a single implant.
Most people are good candidates for dental implants, though you must have healthy gums and jawbone.
The dental implant itself should last a lifetime, though crowns typically need replacement after fifteen years or so (this depends on a number of factors, including your commitment to oral hygiene).
Why a Dental Implant Is Better
Dental implants hold a number of benefits over traditional tooth-replacement options.
- Unlike a bridge, which requires that the adjacent healthy teeth be shaved down and topped with crowns, dental implants require no alteration of surrounding teeth.
- Dental implants feel and function just like natural teeth. Your strong bite will be restored and you will be able to eat with confidence.
- Dental implants become part of your jawbone and are permanent.
- You will look fantastic and your self-confidence will soar.
- When you bite with a traditional restoration, the force goes into the gum and eventually, your jawbone will erode. When you have a dental implant, the biting force goes into the jawbone, preserving strength and preventing bone loss.
Replacing Multiple Teeth with Dental Implants
If you have many missing teeth, getting a dental implant topped with a crown for each one is prohibitively expensive and not practical. In this case, we can craft a full or partial denture to be supported in your mouth by just a few well-placed dental implants. Advantages over conventional dentures include:
- Stability: dentures anchored by dental implants will not slip, slide, or fall out.
- You don’t need to deal with messy dental adhesives.
- You have much better biting force and can eat what you want.
- Dentures supported by implants are more comfortable in the mouth.
- You won’t be at risk for the jawbone loss that often accompanies traditional dentures.
- You won’t experience the speech difficulties that sometimes accompany slippery dentures.
- You will smile with confidence, knowing your teeth are securely in place and look completely natural.
The Dental Implant Process
If you are interested in getting a dental implant or implants, call Dores Dental for a consultation.
- Dr. Dores will give you a thorough examination to determine if you are a good candidate for the procedure. If you are, he will create a personalized treatment plan.
- The dental implant will be surgically inserted into your jawbone. The doctor may also add a material that encourages bone growth.
- You will likely return to our office for occasional checkups during the healing process, so Dr. Dores can make sure everything is progressing as it should.
- After the site of the initial surgery is healed (usually in six to twelve weeks), Dr. Dores will attach an abutment for a crown or other connector for dentures.
- We will then attach your restoration to complete your smile. If you are getting a crown, we will make it while you wait with our cutting-edge CEREC technology.
Dental implants give you your whole smile back. If you live in our around Longmeadow, MA and would like to find out if you are a good candidate, get in touch with Dores Dental for a consultation. You may reach us via our online form or call our office at 413-241-3995.